Sunday, March 21, 2010

Writing Process Draft

Writing a paper on the writing process is pretty hard. The writing process

is different from one person to another. I came across questions like "What

exactly is the writing process?" and "Must you follow one persons writing

process if yours is different?" This is where I came across the answer to my

questions, write however I wish to write. If one person likes free write first

and another person likes to write a draft first, let them do how they please.

The writing process is something that I figure out myself as I went through

school.I personally think that is when I went to school, tutoring, college,

for so many years. Through the years I found that some teachers forced you to

write certain ways. Before college, I would write assuming that the only

reader,or audience, would be my teacher. English writing would help me realize

the many steps that are involved in the writing process from free writing, like

my first draft, to making a final copy. In order to make a good paper I need to

organize my ideas. Also, realize what needs to be in the essay and what doesn't.

I have improved my writing but my organization has been my problem, and

even though I have made progress. I still believe I have not fully succeeded, in

this area but I'm going to improve in it. The process of using multiple drafts

has improved me to over look on my mistakes. After I wrote my paragraphs I went

back and forth and read two or three times, and asked my daughter to revise my

paper. The most valuable lesson I have learned about the writing process is

mostly editing and revising drafts to lead to a perfect final paper. To be able

to write on a college level, I'm going to let other people revise my paper.

Then I can improve myself as a writer. Sure enough, help from others for me to be

able to succeed in English 2020. My favorite assignment was the Literacy

Narrative writing because it was something I have never done before. I found

that describing the scene in different circumstances was difficult, because I

have to present a series of stories. I believe that I have accomplished this

task. Using writing process techniques has made a change in my writing

because I can say something I said before and transfer it to my writing. Like

before I didn't use much techniques and how I do understand and put more effort

to make a meaning.

In Elbow's writing, he says, " The most effective way I know to improve

your writing is to do free writing exercises regularly" (62). Because I am

not one to write in a journal everyday, I can't personally agree or disagree with

this comment. I do believe that the more you write the better you

become. I do see that people who write often also do better in class.

Elbow also says, "The main thing is that a freewriting must never be

evaluated in any way; in fact there must be no discussion at

all"(63). I don't agree with him. The only way for someone to improve writing is

if a peer reads over it and explains what could be done to improve

it.

Revisiting and rewriting a paper is a common step in the writing process.

I wasted a lot of paper after I revised and rewritten an essay. I

think Shakespeare didn't write "Romeo & Juliet" in one shot.

Writing is up to the writer, I have to have good mood and some topic to write

about it. If I decide to follow the formal writing process,

then that's my choice. Nothing should be forced when it comes to

writing. The writing processes is something that changes from person to

person. " Writers must learn to be their own worst enemy" (Murray

4). He is trying to say that when it comes to editing you must be able to accept

criticism from others and be suspicious of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment